Tuesday 14 August 2012

HICCUPS

When he told me I had his digits
and should call him, I got nervous,
thinking fingers in a jar
in vinegar. It was not the first
time this had happened, nor the first
time I'd reacted with hiccups.
Once a guy had called me nuts,
and I'm allergic. I thought my skin
would burst and, sure enough, hiccups
burped exclamation marks on the air.
A hiccup or hiccough is a myoclonus
of the diaphragm that repeats
several times per minute. 
Common knowledge has it frights
while drinking water backwards
standing on your head will cure them.
When he stroked my hand and said
he loved my smile. My jealous eyes
and toes couldn't be happy for my mouth.
A third date ended in spasms
medically known as singultus,
from the Latin singult, meaning the act
of catching one's breath while sobbing.

No comments:

Post a Comment