Tuesday 19 November 2013

NO COMMENT

I wouldn't admit this if it were true.
Not to you. Wouldn't say I murdered
two elderly men or ran over a child.
I wouldn't admit to the rape 
of six nurses on a university campus.
I'd never let you swab my cheeks
for DNA without due cause.
I know my rights. I know that prisons
cannot hold me. I remember
the grin of the barman before
he poured those six martinis
in the lounge. He did not judge me,
even when I bust her lip and ran.
It's something everybody does.
Turn on the news and there I am,
an e-fit that was seen near the bank
just before the robbery. The police
are interested in talking to me
in connection with the incident.
That's not me in the reconstruction.
I was never there. They'll never catch me 
and I'll not come forward on my own.
You'd hate me for the things I'm rumoured 
to have done. I don't care. You think 
I'll never change and I won't. I'll never see 
the consequences if it means my life. 
Nobody will prove me wrong.


No comments:

Post a Comment